All the flavours in one economical, re-sealable tub.
For over a century the Harrison’s name has been synonymous with the production of the highest quality animal feeds. Originally suppliers to the farming industry, Walter Harrison & Sons now concentrate on cleaning and blending finest quality ingredients to produce a wide range of bird seeds, pigeon corns and small animal feeds.
With generations of accumulated experience, Harrison’s nutritionists produce unique mixtures for either general or breed-specific use and are major suppliers to the UK pet trade. Additionally, a comprehensive range of treats and accessories are also available within the following Harrison brands.
Garden Friends - Wild bird diets, treats and accessories.
Feathered Friends - Small and large cage bird diets, treats and accessories.
Furry Friends - Small animal diets, treats and accessories.
Pride of The Mill - Coop and yard bird diets.
Feeding & Hygiene Tips
-The BTO and RSPB recommend wild birds are fed all year round.
- Requirements are greater in late autumn and winter when natural resources are in shorter supply.
- High energy levels are also needed during spring when birds are busy breeding and raising young.
- Birds lose energy maintaining body temperature overnight, so a good breakfast is essential to set them up for the day.
- Once you have established a feeding regime don’t disappoint them, they will depend on you.
- Establish several feeding areas and move them regularly to avoid bacterial build up.
- Consider predators when selecting suitable feeding sites, set table and feeder heights accordingly and make sure birds feeding on the ground have a good line of sight.
- Store all foods in a cool, dry place.
- Be aware that ground feeding stations can attract rodents.
- Feed little and often.
- Replace old or wet food to prevent build up of bacteria or mould, particularly on table and ground feeding stations.
- Clean feeding stations regularly with a safe disinfectant.
- Always wash your hands after handling bird products.
With disappearing habitats and climatic changes the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) and the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) both recommend the year-round feeding of garden birds to maintain a healthy and viable flock of native species.
Some species like the swift and swallow feed on-the-wing from airborne insects and will never visit your table or bird feeder, but to most others it represents a single source for fuelling their busy lives. They need energy to keep them warm through the long cold winter, during the busy nesting season and whilst raising their young families. Though winters may not be as long or severe now, the shift in seasonal patterns encourage many species to raise more than a single brood per year, and this prolonged breeding period only serves to heighten the need for a continuous food supply.
The feeding preferences of most popular native species fall into two basic categories, those that prefer softer foods and feed from the ground, like the Thrush, Blackbird, Robin and Wren, and most others who predominantly feed on seeds. All have their particular favourite foods just as we do, and when you select from the Walter Harrison’s Garden Friends range of premium quality mixes you have the choice of those which attract many different species or specially formulated preparations for the more discerning pallet.
The range also includes many attractive and tasty Energy Boost treats to supplement the basic diet and encourage even more visitors to your garden, plus a wide selection of quality feeders and accessories. In fact there’s everything you need to create your very own nature reserve in your back garden.
Suet and fats provide instant energy for wild birds, particularly necessary when they are busy building nests and raising young. Extra energy also helps them keep warm and healthy during the long cold winter, in fact there isn’t a season when its not beneficial to general health and vigour. The Garden Friends range of Energy Boost treats caters for all tastes with a wide variety of quality infusions to increase attraction.
Email a Friend
Please enter your friend's name and email address below to email them about this product
5 average score
Tell us what you think about this product!