Protexin Cystophan Urinary Tract Supplement for Cat
A recent hypothesis suggests that Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC) may be due to an alteration in the bladder’s neuronal supply, the protective glycosaminoglycan (GAG) layer and components within the urine. Cats with FIC are known to have qualitative or quantitative abnormalities in their protective GAG layer, and they have been shown to have decreased urine concentrations of GAGs and increased bladder wall permeability. GAG supplements aim to restore this defective GAG layer.
- N-acetyl D-glucosamine - A GAG precursor which acts as the building block for GAGs such as chondroitin sulphate.
- Hyaluronic acid - One of the main components of the protective GAG layer, acting as a scaffold for the whole structure.
- L-tryptophan - An amino acid which is converted into serotonin. Serotonin is an inhibitory neurotransmitter which regulates mood and anxiety. L-tryptophan has been shown to reduce stress-related behaviour and anxiety levels in cats.
- Artificial chicken flavouring - To improve palatability and compliance.
Each Capsule Contains:
- N-acetyl D-glucosamine (125mg)
- L-tryptophan (37.5mg)
- Hyaluronic acid (10mg)
- Amino Acids: L-tryptophan
- N-acetyl D-glucosamine,
- Gelatine capsule,
- Hyaluronic acid,
- Magnesium stearate
The capsules can be given whole or opened, and the palatable contents sprinkled onto food.
Initially administer according to the guidelines below for at least two weeks:
Cats ≤3kg 1 capsule daily
Cats >3kg 2 capsules daily
For maintenance, administer according to the guidelines below:
Cats ≤3kg 1 capsule every other day
Cats >3kg 1 capsule daily
Give for as long as considered necessary or as advised by your veterinary surgeon.
Product reviews are filtered by language.
The following reviews are available in English.
Cystophan CapsulsVery good for my cat - delivery very quick have used these for some years now they do help my cat with her bladder problems
Seems to be working.I started giving my elderly little cat Cystophan after she'd recovered from a bad urinary infection, and my Vet recommended it as maintenance to keep her waterworks healthy. She takes one capsule every other day and swallows it quite easily, this could also be broken in half and sprinkled over food. So far thankfully there have been no further health problems.